We had the most interesting Dr. visit today. We arrived at our appointment 15 minutes early. (first interesting thing) I walk up to sign in and the lady asks for the name. I tell her Dane - she pauses - she starts laughing. Your appointment is actually tomorrow! Me - not laughing. What!?! I definitely had it on my calendar for today. I always schedule them for Fridays bc Luke can usually go or Tuesdays because we are already in Bloomington. I would never schedule a Wednesday. So I'm fumbling for what to say when she tells me they can go ahead and squeeze us in. whew!! Anyway, so we sit down and in walks a little boy - all of 2 or 3 - on a leash. I've seen these leashes before, but never up close or for an extended period of time. Behind him in walks the Grandma. As they make their way to the check-in, he walks one way and she walks the other and they get tangled. "Come on! This way!" Grandma says. And tugs on the leash. After they check in she literally walks him around the waiting room so he can browse the toys. There were all of about 3 mom/kid pairings there. It was just like taking a dog for a walk. It struck me as so funny I had to stop myself from laughing out loud. At one point she walked him over our way and the little boy waved to Will. He slid one shoulder out of the harness and Grandma really laid into him. He pointed to Will and said (bless his little heart) "he doesn't have to wear one." Then Grandma informed him that he was too quick, and Grandma was too old. Which lightened my heart about it just a bit. (she's correct - they're very quick - and I'm sure the last thing she wants to do is inform Mommy that little Billy got away. Nope, Grandma's not taking any chances.) Hopefully he won't have to endure too much therapy.
The rest of the appointment went very well. Dane is healthy, right on track, weighs 19 lbs 4 oz which puts him in the 75 percentile. He has slipped from the 90th percentile at birth, so I'm sure Luke has all but written off his athletic future in football.
Will was unusually on his best behavior for the entire visit. While I was paying and scheduling our next appt he sits down on the bench by the check-out and picks up a book and starts flipping through it. I see the title: "A Boy's Guide to Becoming a Teenager". Oh boy. Time to go!!
No comments:
Post a Comment