I'll start with the boys. Their school is going great. Will is doing well. Reading continues to be his biggest challenge. He is the top student in their "monster math." Monster Math is where they take timed tests and once they pass a test, they move on. They work through the alphabet and he's the student furthest along, on M. He said a couple of other students are on L. (it figures he does the best on something where he can be competitive. :) He is also doing great in Spelling (A+). He is enthusiastic about school and while he's a rough-and-tumble-all-boy-alpha-male-strong-willed kid, he has the biggest heart and the best attitude. I'm so proud of him!!
Dane is doing amazing. That little sweetie has adjusted to school even better than I had hoped. He is excited to go to school each day and brings home work that he's done great on. He is starting sight words. I see him give a nice effort on things he brings home. And that little sweetheart; he hops on the bus in the morning and off the bus in the afternoon like he's been doing it for years. In the morning I have been taking them to the first bus stop on our route so that I can get to work on time. I wouldn't be able to make it if I put them on the bus at home. Doing it this way saves me 15+ minutes. And while I don't love that they're on the bus for a longer amount of time, it's what we have to do. And Dane just hops on that bus with his big backpack bouncing from side to side and sits by the window in the seat with his brother. I can only see from his eyes up through the bus window and we blow kisses and wave as the bus drives off. Each morning I swear my heart could literally explode with love.
And I head off to work now. I started my job as the assistant teacher at the pre-school where the boys went. We have joked that Will went to preschool and pre-K, then Dane, and now me! I really like the teacher, we have always gotten along great. Her husband is a pipe-fitter like Luke and travels as well. I feel like only people who travel or have a partner who travels in the capacity like Luke does can really appreciate what that means and what we go through as a family. When this opportunity came about to work at the school with her, I knew it was perfect. I have always had an interest in teaching (I went back to school after graduating from IU Kelley School of Business and took elementary ed classes full time for 2 semesters) but I must admit, my main interest in this job is that it follows the boys' school calendar. So I will never be working on days when they're in school. All break days and even snow days are the same. Starting work has definitely been an adjustment. I really like to work, I always have. So I was looking forward to it. And I do like the routine it has brought us. But I will say, it's been quite an adjustment. Each morning, getting the three of us up, fed, lunches packed, dressed and out the door with backpacks and everything in order, and then every evening getting homework done, lunchboxes unpacked, dinner ready, and the kitchen cleaned up, football 2 nights per week for 1.5 hrs. And somewhere in all that, trying to keep up with the cleaning, working out, and laundry....it's been tough. I don't know how single moms do it. I really don't. I'm struggling here, yet I have a husband who is home on the weekends and provides for us financially and I have the best father-in-law in the WORLD, who takes Will to football one night if not two, each week, and does endless things to help us on a weekly basis. Then throw in the nut shows which started up again this past weekend, it's been really crazy. But I thank God every day I've been blessed with a strong marriage and an amazing "village" to help us with the boys in this crazy life.
Life is Good! 💜
No comments:
Post a Comment