Monday, January 11, 2016

Santa Question

A few weeks ago....

😡😡😡 So Will just asked if Santa is real. Apparently a little girl at school shared with him that Santa isn't real and parents just deliver the Santa gifts. Then he proceeded to ask me why I want to know what he asks Santa for. I am floored. I was not ready for this yet. He's only in 2nd grade!!  Will is so smart and I see his wheels turning. 

After much thought about what to do I sat him down and we had a great conversation much later that evening.  I went into it prepared to tell him everything.  I started by asking him if he believes in Santa.  He said yes because ...and then listed a few reasons why.  It was obvious he is still ready to believe.  So we had a great talk but I was careful not to lie to him.  I told him that some people believe in Santa and some people don't.  But what that little girl said to him was not nice.  And he shouldn't say something like that to anyone - anyone at school OR his BROTHER because it could upset them.  I told him that I was really glad he asked me about it, and that if he has more questions to ask me.  Then I told him I wanted to read him something and read him this portion of a letter I've seen on Pinterest that is really great: 

"Santa is bigger than any person, and his work has gone on longer than any of us has lived.  What he does is simple, but it is powerful.  He teaches children how to believe in something they can't see or touch.  It's a big job and it's an important one.  Throughout your life, you will need this capacity to believe: in yourself, in your friends, in your talents, and in your family.  You'll also need to believe in things you can't measure or even hold in your hand.  Also, I'm talking about love, that great power that will light your life from the inside out, even during its darkest, coldest moments. "

It was a good conversation.  I'm comfortable with where things left off.  Even though this happened well before Christmas and I'm just posting it now, everything went great and it served as an excellent reminder that these boys are growing up so fast and to enjoy every second of it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment