Sunday, December 28, 2008

Being a Parent

In June of 07 Luke and I had a son, Will. He is 18 months old and the most adorable, funny, intelligent, sweet, and charming little man ever. And I'm not biased because I'm his mom either. I am convinced that even if I were a stranger I would feel the exact same. When Will was first born we had a tough time adjusting to taking care of another person 24-7. Will was, I'm guessing, by all standards a fairly easy baby. But months of sleep deprivation and the process of completely changing life as we knew it definitely took it's toll on both of us. Slowly we began to get the hang of it and now are completely in love with Will and every second of joy he brings into our lives. I find the two of us staring at him and waiting for him to do his next cute thing - just like the "obnoxious parents" did before I had my own child. Becoming a parent definitely changes your life. You get up earlier, prioritize differently, are suddenly scared of things you weren't scared of before, and are full of a love you never knew you were capable of feeling. Just thinking of our sweet little boy makes my heart swell with love and can easily bring tears to my eyes. If I would have read this post 5 years ago (maybe even 2 years ago) I would probably have rolled my eyes and hit NEXT but now this is my life and it's the real deal. I am incredibly blessed with a wonderful and loving husband, a healthy son, and a fantastic family. I guess because it's the Holidays and it's customary to talk about what we're thankful for, I'm a little more sentimental than usual, but I'm ok with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment