
For those of you who know me well, you know that Rosco and I have had quite a rocky relationship. Over the past 2 years we have come a long way though, and I realized just how far this past Sunday. After weeks of the weather being too cold to go on our beloved (and much needed!) walks, the clouds gave way to the sun and the temperature rose above 32. Needless to say, we were out the door! Luke had already gone down to "the shop" with his Dad, so Will, Rosco and I decided to walk down. We were 3/4 of the way there, and hit that final straight away. As Rosco usually does if Luke is already down there, he ran ahead. I didn't mind. In fact, I stopped to take a few pictures of "our tree", looking so beautiful in the shiny snow. As I finished taking the pictures and continued walking toward the shop, I heard a car go over the bridge just ahead. I immediately seached for Rosco, and to my horror I saw him running straight for the road. I yelled "ROSCO SIT!!!" but he didn't. In slow motion, I saw this truck hit him. I heard him yelp and scamper off back towards the shop. I began yelling and running full speed to get to him. I felt like I was crawling. Finally I reached him and saw that he was ok, but clearly shaken up. I yelled for Luke to come out. Rosco was dripping a little bit of blood in the white snow, which looked really erie. Luke and Sonny rubbed him down to make sure he didn't have any broken bones, which fortunately he didn't. He was really shaken up. And so was I. After the adrenaline wore off, I just started crying as I realized how awful it could have been. He had a few scrapes, which are healing now. We also monitored him over the next couple of days to make sure he wasn't showing any signs of internal injuries, etc. It was a very scary accident and it made me realize that I love him so much. He is a great protector, a great walking partner, and a great companion, and I think I would be heartbroken if something happened to him. Who knew!
No comments:
Post a Comment