A friend of mine from college has a daughter who was born with severe heart defects. They discovered this condition when she was a few months old, and they've literally been through hell and back. 24-hr oxygen, feeding tubes, endless hospital stays and doctor appointments and medications and equipment. She's now 2 and at one time they weren't even sure if she was going to make it. They still are unsure of her future, her development, and often...what tomorrow will hold. She posted on her blog one time about how she was in church and there was a family behind them and the little boy was talking. The mother was shushing the boy and she talked about how she was brought to tears listening to it. How her heart was aching because her daughter might not ever talk and how she would give anything just to hear her daughter's voice. To hear one single thought running through her daughters head. - were they thoughts like you and I have, or are they very basic thoughts - she doesn't even know. I cried and cried, and read the post to Luke and felt just awful thinking of all the times I was so short with Will and literally begged him to just stop talking! I turned it into a lesson - and what a lesson it's been. I try to remind myself how fortunate we are that our boys are healthy sometimes when my patience is tested. ...and Oh, was this lesson put to good use today.
It was one of those days where everything that came out of Will's mouth (which is A. LOT.) started with "MOM!" I am not kidding when I say that if I had a dollar for every time he said "MOM!" I would have an impressive stack. Toward the end of the day I was aware of today's habit and I was taking note. I was putting laundry away and here's what happened.
Will: Mom!
me: what?
Will: MOM!
me: what, Will?
Will: I'm going to play basketball.
me: ok
Will: Mom!
me: what?
Will: I'm going to play basketball with Dane.
me: ok
Will: MOM!
me: (silence)
Will: MOOOOMMM!
me: WHAT?
Will: I'm playing basketball with Dane.
me: great! (hint of sarcasm which fortunately my 3 year old doesn't recognize yet)
Will: MOM!
me: what?
Will: I'm playing basketball with 3 Landons and 2 Paytons, and 1 Dane (imagining his cousins are playing with him)
me: fun!
Will: MOM!
And on it went.. All. Day. Long.
At times I (I know -tsk tsk- but I ignored him) and over lunch, it went like this...
Will: Mom!
me: ....
Will: MOM!
me:....
Will: MOOOM!!
me: what Will?
Will: ummm....
silence
Will: Mom!
me: What?
Will: the shop door is open
me: okay
....after a short silence...
Will: nevermind, no it's not.
Yes, I had to remind myself numerous times today just how lucky I am. And I'm being serious. I am proud of myself, and grateful for this lesson because as ...trying... as it was today, I tucked in my little man and I thanked God for this awesome and healthy little boy. And then I said a prayer for my friend Gina and her family.
No comments:
Post a Comment