When Will was a baby, newborn probably, my mom got him a stuffed bear. Sandy and Ron got him a stuffed turtle from a vacation they went on to the east coast I think. Many people gave him stuffed animals, but these two: BearBear and TonTon, quickly became the clear favorites and were with Will every night for bedtime, every nap, always there. For 6 years it was those two and his blanket and pillow. This past Christmas, my mom and Chuck gave our family a zoo membership. The zoo sent us a Welcome packet and included in it was a stuffed Beanie Baby monkey. Will immediately picked it up and was playing with it. After a night or two he brought the monkey to bed with him, TonTon, and BearBear. I told him he needed to name his new monkey. Then I remembered that Beanie Babies usually have a name. It had the Beanie Baby tag attached to his ear. I opened up the card and sure enough we found his name: Shweetheart. Will thought that was hysterical. He laughed and laughed.
Shweetheart also gets the top spot, since he's the littlest. TonTon goes on the bottom (fits best in Will's elbow) then BearBear and then Shweetheart on top.
And here's the most precious thing I've heard in a long time...
After a month or two of sleeping with Shweetheart the tag ripped off. One night I was putting him to bed and told him I would cut the plastic piece off so it didn't scratch him. "NO!" he exclaimed. "Why?" I asked him. "Because he won't be able to hear!" he said. "He has a hearing aid like PaPaw and if you cut it off he won't be able to hear!"
OH, you sweet boy.
No comments:
Post a Comment