Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Christmas 2015

We had a great Christmas this year.  It's hard to switch life-long traditions.  For my entire life before Luke and I were married, my Christmas morning and day consisted of a super relaxing eat-cookies-for-breakfast, stay-in-jammies-all-day.  Luke's side of the family is pretty much the opposite.  About 9am on Christmas morning everyone gathers for a big family and friends breakfast.  While I like the idea, actually doing it has been more of a challenge for me, especially since the last 5 years it has taken place at our house, and also because Luke is usually gone at his dad's cooking when the boys get up and I call him to come home.  Having kids and letting go of the idea that Christmas morning should be spent with them opening presents and having as much time to play with their new toys as their little hearts desire while Luke and I look on has been hard to let go of.  It's taken years, literally, to adjust (although in my defense I only get one shot at it each year), but this year was truly great.  I am no longer sleep deprived from being up with babies in the night which, takes a toll.  It takes a while to change habits, to adjust to new things, especially when you don't anticipate that they'll ever change.  This year was the first year that I really felt like this is our Christmas now.  Not like I was just "doing something different".   This is our family tradition.  Just like I had Christmas Eve celebration with my Nana, cousins, and Aunt and Uncle, and then Christmas Day at home, the boys now have their Christmas morning breakfast and celebration with their grandparents and cousins and aunts and uncles.  They're going to love it.  THIS is Christmas now.  The breakfast is the part they're going to look forward to each year.  Getting to play with their cousins and see everyone and talk about what they got for Christmas.  I'm sure all this sounds silly, but it was a big year for me.  My heart is full!      




Opening their tickets to Monster Jam!

Christmas night we went to Rebecca's for dinner.  Will said he wasn't feeling well.  At dinner he sat by Rebecca and she was helping him dish his food.  I told her a few green beans, a little corn, a small piece of ham, etc. as things came around.  She took it all literally and this is what his plate looked like.  ha! We joked that times were tough this year....  

Lo and behold, he cleaned his plate!  And got an amazing cupcake for all his hard work.  And then amazingly, he felt all better.  

Sweet Dane boxed up some treasures he cut up for Mom and Dad.  :)  



No comments:

Post a Comment