Dane is one week old now - how time flies! I wish I could hit pause on life and keep him this tiny little bundle of love just a little longer because I already see him changing and I know from Will how terribly fast this goes. Dane is such a sweet baby and he is so darn cute!! I just can't stop kissing him and snuggling him. I remember from Will how cute their little facial expressions are - those little grimaces and smiles - and I find that I could watch him for hours. He is, all things considered, a great sleeper. He wakes up to nurse and I change him and he goes right back to sleep. I have been getting around 5 hours at night, which compared to when Will was born might as well be a full 8. Regardless, I'm very tired and nursing is a 24-7 job which again I'm finding both very rewarding yet extremely exhausting.
Luke and I decided that we would tackle a newborn and a toddler by him getting good rest at night and being up with Will in the mornings and really doing things for/with him and because I'm nursing anyway, I'm up with the baby at night but sleep in until he gets up in the mornings and then hopefully sleep a little bit during the day with Dane (which hasn't really been happening). So far it's working pretty well. Luke was home last week obviously and all of this week. Will has been thrilled to spend so much time with Daddy and Luke has also been really helpful with other things like doing laundry, etc. It has been fun to watch, and at times comical (ex: Luke went to change Will's diaper and I heard him shout "oooo" followed by a fake gag and then "What did Grandma Becca feed you yesterday? Mud?") It's been great having him home.
Things are calming down a bit, but when the baby was first born Will had quite the social calendar going on. He spent lots of time with Nana, Grandma Becca and Aunt Terri. I was feeling a little sad about not being with him very much, but my sadness always went away quickly when I realized he has been having an absolute blast - playing in the dirt, having ice cream "fights" with Aunt Terri, skipping naps, getting a huge container full of, I bet, 50 tadpoles (which I'm now monitoring closely to watch for any little legs sprouting) and getting so filthy he smelled. Our lowest point came on Friday night when my mom was here helping me clean. We were going about our evening when Luke told me he wasn't feeling well. A few minutes later he ran to the kitchen and started getting sick. I immediately had this vision of us all sick, including our 3 day old baby. He went down to his dad's house for the next day and 2 nights. Thank goodness my mom was able to take Will home with her until Sunday afternoon. Other than Luke being sick, it actually ended up being kind of nice getting to spend that time with just the baby. I did have to take Dane to his first Dr. appt. by myself. The Dr. said that it was possible, but unlikely Dane would get this sickness, which he said is going around, because for some reason babies rarely get things like that and also because usually everyone who touches the baby has just washed their hands or used sanitizer. So that made me feel a little bit better. And so far, everyone else has seemed to avoid getting it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. And double crossed.
It's hard to believe that I wasn't even going to be induced until this coming Saturday and my official due date wasn't even for another week from tomorrow. We are so grateful that even though he was so early he is healthy and strong.
No comments:
Post a Comment