Monday, October 11, 2010

Potty Training Update

We've tried EVERYTHING!!!! For over 3 MONTHS!!! The toys are still on the back porch, he doesn't even care. Tried the positive reinforcement, which obviously didn't work. Combined with M&M's, worked for a while, but then he started going on the potty only when he wanted a piece of candy. (smart boy) I even tried spanking when he didn't try, combined with the positive reinforcement (M&Ms). He didn't care too much, just told me not to give him "a real hard spanking." I wasn't crazy about the spanking because 1. they say not to punish when potty training and 2. I hate it! Probably more than he does. When I first became a parent I didn't plan on spanking but I have learned that sometimes there are children that just must be spanked and unfortunately Will is one of them.

I feel like I'm at the point where I just can't do it anymore. I hate to "give up" but there's only so much I can do, and this summer with a baby, still breastfeeding (& pumping), the house remodel, Luke being gone all week, I just don't think I can focus on it anymore like I have been. He spent the weekend with Luke's mom and being away from here for the weekend was a nice time to re-evaluate and plan my next steps. I think I'm going to relax about it. Suggest and encourage using the potty, but no punishments or spankings and just deal with changing the diapers for a bit longer. As Luke's mom informed me, this is precisely how Luke's potty training went - so I guess Will gets it honestly.

Here was a last ditch effort - "We know you have to poop. You can sit on the potty, IN the living room, ON the table, WHILE watching a movie of your choice, AND eating M&M's.. if you'll just try." Nope. No luck. He did get a nice fill of candy though.

No comments:

Post a Comment