Monday, April 4, 2011

Bears and Coyotes, Oh My!

I never envisioned having to tell my son the following, but tonight I was telling Will to "please stop barking!" Lately he's known in these parts as Will, The Coyote. He barks, howls, paws at things, (occasionally tries to) eat like a coyote. He brings me things in his mouth, sometimes refuses to do things because "coyotes don't do that." I've had to get creative in managing my little coyote's behavior. I explained to him that coyotes must follow the same rules as little boys and Rosco and he's not allowed to bark, growl at me, or claw at things in the house either. And, if Rosco does act out of line he gets a time out, just like little coyotes will too.

Recently I've started letting them play downstairs for short periods of time by themselves. Sometimes I spy on them from the top of the stairs to make sure they're playing nice. (aka: Will's not bullying Dane) Last night I was in the kitchen and heard Dane start to cry. I ran downstairs and Will The Coyote was already hiding in his tent. I asked him what happened and after a few "nothings" and a time-out threat he finally confessed.. A MOUSE had run right across the room and knocked Dane over!

Today we were sitting at the table eating and The Coyote informed me that last night he howled out the front door and a bear ran down the street, right past our house and into a field!! hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment