Thursday, August 11, 2011

She's Nuts!

I've put off writing this post because I've been trying to get our logo on here and it's just not working. Well, for that reason and because I've barely had time to check my email let alone sit down and blog. I've been so exhausted I can't remember the last time I was this busy. I'm sure I was when I was nursing a newborn, potty training my 3 year old and overseeing the remodel of our home while my husband was in Ohio but I blocked that from my memory right away, fearing post traumatic stress.

Anyway, about 15 years ago my mother in law started a nut business. She sold german roasted nuts at fairs and festivals. She sold the business about 5 years ago. Last year the woman who bought it unexpectedly passed away. My mother in law (Rebecca) requested first rights to buy it back if they ever sold it. So she did, and we decided to go into business together. It's called "She's Nuts" and the nuts are roasted with a cinnamon vanilla flavoring. People also describe them as being "candied nuts." They are tasty and I saw this as a great opportunity to make some extra money while the boys are young. We are doing 5 shows this year: the Morgan County Fair, 2 Oktoberfests, Chitaqua Art Festival and Lanesville Festival. Last week (for 9 straight days) I worked our first show - Morgan County Fair. The hours were from noon until 10pm. I had an intricate schedule of who would help watch the boys during the week when Luke wasn't home. Thank goodness for our wonderful families - I wouldn't have been able to do it without Luke, my mom, my dad and Sharon, and Terri. Between them, I was able to leave at 11:30 and get home at 10:30ish, and not worry a bit that the boys weren't having a fantastic time and being well cared for. The days were long, the work was stressful and it was SWELTERING hot. I'm talking 100+ heat indexes - not to mention I was standing over a cooker 1/2 the time. It was insane, there was lots of sweat, lots of tears and aches and pains. But I accomplished my goals of 1) making it thru alive and 2) learning the business. Which is a good thing because 2 of our next shows fall on the same weekend which means I'll be doing a show by myself. And maybe by then I'll figure out how to get our logo on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment