Will did football camp again this year. He did it last year too, but was sick on the last day and then didn't want to do flag football last fall (as he did the year before) and I couldn't help but wonder if he equated football with feeling sick. He was completely uninterested in football ever since, until we went camping a few weeks ago and he and Luke were throwing the football around. So he did this camp, which is such a neat camp. The high school football team and coaches work with the kids K-5 and it's so cute to watch them all together. As much as I resist being "small town" sometimes, (and remain in denial) I have to admit I did feel a sense of pride today as I watched Will with these kids and I thought how very grateful I am that he (we) get to be a part of this.
High knees drills (middle of picture)
Scrimmage game
After camp was finished I asked him a last time if he wanted to play "Little Arties" football this year, which is the tackle league. He has remained steadfast that he does not want to play football. Flag or tackle. Today when I asked him, his surprising response was "I guess I will." I whipped my head around to make sure I heard him correctly and he said "Well, you and Daddy and PaPaw want me to so I guess I will." I told him that the only way I want him to play is if it's something that HE wants to do and that it's completely up to him. Again, "Sure." I don't even think that I would say that I "want" him to play football - go ahead and roll eyes now- but I think it's dangerous. He's naturally athletic and very competitive by nature, so I am interested to see him develop as an athlete, but there are other sports I think I would pick first - but I will 100% support him in whatever sport he chooses. But, low and behold, he signed up! And this league is the real deal. Later this summer, they have the draft, then practice every day for a couple of hours for 2 weeks. Then begins the season with practices 2 nights per week and a game on the weekend.
*Rookie Alert*
After camp ended, they offered all the kids a gatorade and I noticed some of them passing it up and heading over to get fitted for gear instead. I quickly figured out why. When it was Will's turn he hopped on the scale and weighed 65.7 lbs. Apparently if he is under 65 lbs then he gets into a smaller weight class? ( I also didn't realize there were other sports besides wrestling where athletes tried to weigh less - especially football!) But I guess they do. So they first asked him if he had to go to the bathroom (no) and then told him to take off his shoes - 65.3. So then off came his shirt and shorts. 65.2 and then for a split second it flashed 65.0. I told them he just drank a gatorade and a half, and if we just waited a few and then he went to the bathroom he would for sure make it. He said they would go ahead and give it to him.
Weighing in.
Fitting for pads and helmet.
I sent Luke this picture and told him Will had decided to play... Merry Christmas. :) Since Luke was a big football player I knew he would be so excited. It's fun to imagine that Will might follow Luke in his love for football. And maybe he won't. And either way it's fine. But there's no denying he's one cute little football player!
*I happened to notice that this is my 1,000th blog post!*
:)

No comments:
Post a Comment