Saturday, August 29, 2009
Chain of Command
When we rescued Rosco in 2006 he didn't have many things going for him. He was 1 and a half and truly a wild animal. He wasn't a Good Dog by any means and had no manners whatsoever. Honestly, I couldn't stand him. The family who had him first clearly took zero time or effort to train him or show him any attention and then when he grew out of his cute puppy stage, they got rid of him. He didn't know the word "treat" and didn't come with any favorite toys or anything, only one of those choke collars that have the spikes that poke into his neck when it was pulled. I quickly realized I had a huge job ahead of me, and I wasn't sure I was up to it. Fortunately after months of working with him nearly every day and more tears than I even want to recall, I am so proud of what a Good Dog he is. He did have two redeeming qualities from the beginning, that probably saved him. He wasn't a chewer, and he didn't bother my cat. Of course it took quite a while for Rosco and Kramer to interact at all, but I will say that he has never chased Kramer and has never been threatening to him. Now a couple of years later they will even play sometimes. They certainly interact as well as I could hope for. The other day Kramer was lying on Rosco's bed and so Rosco laid down next to the bed, waiting his turn. :) What a GOOD DOG!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment