Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Who's Surprised?

Will is quite the little bruiser. He has been ever since he began walking at 10 1/2 months. He has taken more falls than I can tally, and 9 times out of 10 he jumps up and brushes himself off and goes on like nothing happened. Sometimes he adds in a "whoa!" He always seems to have a number of bumps and bruises, and at his tender age of 2 has a nice selection of scars as well. All of this said, I guess I'm not too surprised that I have the following news to report...

Apparently when he took the Florida fall - when he bit almost all the way through his tongue - he permanently damaged his tooth. I noticed about 2 weeks ago that it was starting to look discolored. Uh-oh. So I called the dentist and we went in yesterday to have it examined. We went to the Pediatric Dentistry on Landmark in Bloomington. Dr. Kyle Taylor and a newer dentist Tamara I forget her last name. We saw the woman and she was really good with Will and it all went great! I was envisioning a straight jacket and ropes, as I sometimes have to tackle him just to brush his teeth. But fortunately none of that was needed and he was so good. I'm sure it didn't hurt that Mickey Mouse Clubhouse was playing on a flat screen on the ceiling that he got to watch during the examination. Basically the prognosis is We Don't Know What Will Happen. We did find out that one of three things will likely happen. 1) it will get better. She said that when it was hit blood got into the tooth which caused the discoloration (bruising). That blood may go away and in turn it may fade a little. 2) It will stay the same. or 3) it will get worse. I think this is the most likely outcome, but I'm hopeful for 1 or 2. They took x-rays and as of now, the root looks just fine which is good. If it were to continue to die, it could abscess and need to be removed. (ugh!) So for now we will go every 6 months to have it examined.

No comments:

Post a Comment