Monday, August 9, 2010

The Adventures of The Paytons

Yesterday we went to Lowes to purchase the appliances for the new house with both boys...

Everything was going pretty well - according to the Standards of Parents With Young Children, of course. If you were non-parents you would probably have avoided our aisle at all costs. Will was running around and opening all of the refrigerators and hiding in all of the empty stove and dishwasher nooks. But he wasn't yelling and wasn't endangering the appliances, so it was acceptable. (Dane's car seat takes up most of the cart now, so unfortunately there's no room left to corral Will in there any more.) I had to use the bathroom so I told Luke I would take Dane with me. Well, Will wasn't having that and insisted on coming with us. As we were leaving the bathroom Will said he wanted a drink of water from the water fountain. Ugh - I hate those things. I always resist the urge to tell him absolutely not, and instead stand RIGHT next to him to make sure he doesn't touch his mouth to it. For some reason he's never able to drink out of them without getting water on his shirt. He happened to be wearing his bright yellow John Deere t-shirt - the same one that he would live in if I let him. As he stepped back from the water fountain I saw that as usual, the top 1/2 of the front of his shirt was sopping wet. He notices it and grabs at it, trying to squeeze the water out and at the same time stretches out the neck so it's wet and hanging loose. As we are walking back to the appliances department he notices an "opening" in one of the aisles and couldn't resist crawling back behind some tile. I tell him to come out and as he does I notice that he must have chosen to crawl behind the tiles that haven't been moved in decades because the amount of brown dirt/dust/debris that was on his hands and knees was phenomenal. I say "Will! You're filthy!" as I bend down to get some wipes out of the diaper bag. While I'm doing that he must have tried to wipe his hands off on his shirt. The result was a bright yellow (sopping wet) shirt streaked with a dark gray/brown color with a neck that was hanging down well below his neck. Somehow in there he had brushed his hands through his hair and spiked the front. Throw in brown knees and hands and it was quite a sight.

About that time I noticed Dane had pooped so I head back to the bathroom to change him when I realized we only had 1 wipe left - and this was definitely not a 1 wipe diaper. I go back to Luke and explain the situation. He takes Dane and Will out to the car (more wipes there) to change the diaper and I go to the front to pay (Luke forgot his wallet). As the guy from Lowes is walking me to the front (I guess when you spend lots of money you get an escort) he was saying "Oh, I'm glad we're done with those days. My kids are 13 and 15." I was thinking - not me! I absolutely love it. I can definitely appreciate the humor in (MOST) situations like this and I love our boys to pieces just the way they are... dirt, poop, back-talking terrible 3's and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment