Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Surgery

My surgery was scheduled for Thursday, March 10 at noon. I was supposed to be there at 10am. If I'm completely honest, I do remember the nurse telling me not to eat or drink anything after midnight the night before. I'm not sure what happened, but what I decided she had said the next morning was "don't eat anything after midnight and only a clear liquids diet the morning of the surgery." I have no clue what I was thinking. Anyway as we were checking in and getting prepped for the surgery and the nurse asked if I'd had anything to eat or drink, I confessed to having had some water. She WHIPS her head toward me "how much?" "When did you finish it?" She looks to the clock. Sighs. "I'll have to call the anesthesiologist." whoops... At that point there was no way I was going to tell her I'd also had a jello cup at 7:30 that morning. After I changed and we opened door she was on the phone talking loudly "yes, she had water this morning. 16 oz. finished it at 9:30. I know. I know. Ok." She returns: They were going to allow me to have the surgery, but not a minute before noon. Every single person who came in, and there were a few, were informed how I'd had water that morning. "Oh, really? She had water? Yes, she had water. 16 oz." I felt like a criminal! geez! Sorry! It was just water! (and a jello cup) After a while I asked the nurse why it was such a big deal. She said when you're under general anesthesia if you vomit, your body doesn't have the reflexes to push it out and it can go into your lungs. Whoops!! Luke is glaring at me. As soon as the nurse leaves he's threatening to tell on me. If something happens he's going to be SO MAD. I finally convinced him not to blow the whistle. I was a little nervous, but on we went. whoopsie! Lesson learned!

Soon it was noon, and time. I said goodbye to Luke and they wheeled me down the hall. Half way there we ran into the anesthesiologist and he stopped us. He quickly put something into my IV and I immediately started feeling whoosy. 2 minutes later we got into the operating room. I was really feeling whoosy by then. They immediately had me transfer to the operating table, they strapped my arm down, put a mask on me and that was it.

I woke up in recovery and was really feeling awful. I was shivering badly which was extremely painful to my hip. He told me he was going to give me something to help my shivering and I immediately stopped shivering but felt naseous. I told him I thought I was going to be sick and he hopped up. Put something else in my IV and literally 1 minute later, if that, my nasuea was gone. When you have an IV it's amazing how quickly they can fix things. I spent an hour or so in recovery and then they sent me back to the first area to fully wake up. Luke and his dad came in, his dad left and then Luke stayed with me for the next couple of hours. I dozed off and on and then soon it was time for me to sit up, get dressed, and be on my way!

1 comment:

  1. hope you are all recovered! i can't believe you've been growing that tumor for 15 years.
    congrats on the nursing, pumping, and completion:)

    ReplyDelete