Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Recovery

WARNING! Image below if my incision, so don't look if you don't want to see it.

On our way home from the hospital, I was feeling pretty good. In fact, that whole evening I felt pretty good. I think it was still numb from the surgery. We made 2 stops, one at Panera Bread for some soup and then to Avers Pizza for some breadsticks (close 2nd to Pizza Express, and I’m not kidding) and a take and bake. When we got home I was exhausted and shoveled in some breadsticks and then went to bed. We got up around midnight for some food and then I slept off and on for the night. Friday and most of Saturday were pretty much a blur to me. On Sunday I was feeling better and was up and moving around some but then I paid for it on Monday. Then yesterday (Tuesday) it felt good again and I was up most of the day. Then today I was pretty sore again. It seems to be a roller coaster and this morning I was pretty discouraged about it. I am ready for it to feel better. It does feel better, but it’s still very painful. Over the weekend I felt like I got blasted in the hip with a jackhammer. Now it’s just achy and sore. If I’m in one position for a while and then I move, that’s when it hurts the most. I talked to my surgeon on Monday and he said they had to move the tissue around quite a bit, more than expected, to get it out so he wasn’t surprised it was pretty sore. (Plus they chiseled my bone, so there’s that too) I guess I assumed that I would be on crutches for about a week and then I would be feeling good. I don’t think that’s going to happen, and I came to that realization this morning and got pretty upset about it. I think it’s going to be slow and painful. And the thought of chasing after Dane, going up and down the steps, and having to be quick on my feet scares me. This week is going so quickly and I’m not sure what I’m going to do when Luke has to go back to work. I’m very nervous about it. He’s been so great this week. We’ve always said our lives work so well together because I could never do what he does and he could never do what I do, but he’s done a really great job. Here is my incision, it's about 5 inches long. I was sitting down and those are pen marks, the stitches are inside and will dissolve then there's this glue type stuff over the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment