Tuesday, March 26, 2013

No Yell Parenting

Whenever I yell at the boys I feel so guilty.  When I see other parents yelling at their  kids I can't stand it either.  I try not to yell, although sometimes it's so hard.  I do make a conscious effort not to yell and instead try to take a moment and a deep breath and address the problem in a different way.  Sometimes that works and others it doesn't.  In my efforts not to yell I've noticed a few things...usually when I'm yelling I'm running late, or I'm trying to get something else done like cook dinner, or I'm so frustrated over them not listening to me.  But what do all of those reasons for yelling have in common?  They all have to do with ME.  Not the boys. 

I've come to realize that kids are kids, boys are boys, and mine are strong willed, rambunctious, and active.  A lot of times this equals chaos.  I can't control that, but what I can control is how I react.  I've been working on no yelling for a while now.  Some times I'm really good at it and sometimes I'm really bad at it.  But today I ran across this article on Pinterest while looking for the directions on how to bake hard boiled eggs.  I felt like I was reading my new No Yell Parenting Bible as I read the whole thing nodding my head and smiling.  It all rings true.  I love it.  I especially loved #5.  And the picture of course. 

No comments:

Post a Comment