Thursday, August 21, 2014

Stay At Home Mom, Kind Of, For Real Now?

Since Will was 10 months old, for over 6 1/2 years, I have worked 2+ days a week.  Always Mondays and Wednesdays. Then another 1/2 day or more at some point during the week.  This has always been perfect for me.  I get my patience restored with Luke being in Ohio all week long.  It gives the boys and me a change to miss each other a little bit. :)   I have also always thought it was important for the boys to be comfortable being with others besides Luke and me (and close family).  Learning to be in a new environment and to listen to and respect others in charge.  It's been great.  Perfect schedule for us.  This also meant that when school fell on one of those two days someone else has picked them up whether it was a pick up from preschool or getting off the bus at a babysitters (Pamalas last year). 

This year I realize it's my last year of "being home" with Dane.  Next year both boys will be in school all day, every day.  And while my future is uncertain with regard to what I'll be doing once they're both in school full time, I'm taking this year and being a "real" stay at home mom (while still working part time).  I'm doing all the drop-off and all the pick ups.  I get Will on the bus and then take Dane to pre-k.  I work while he's in school and then pick him up at 11:30.  I bring him to work with me for the afternoon on Mondays and Wednesdays and Fridays, and then I'm back home every day for Will to get off the bus at 3:30.  I'm fortunate enough to work for Luke's mom, who loves her grandbabies.  She set up a little room beside my office with a nice soft rug and pillows for naps, a tv and lots of movies, and of course crayons and activity books.  (An awesome perk of working for her)   My mom has also contributed fun activities for him to do while he's at work with me.  While my schedule isn't all that different, it feels really different.  And I LOVE it.  I love being able to do all the care and pick ups and drop offs for them.  I know only too well how fast it all goes.  I'm savoring this entire sweet year down to the last drop, so to speak. 

No comments:

Post a Comment