Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I knew it was coming...

(this is long and boring but I needed to write about it for therapeutic reasons)

Dane is 6 weeks old and for the most part I feel like I've handled the transition from 1 to 2 pretty well. I had a lot of help at the beginning - Luke for the first week, my mom for the second, and Sandy for the 3rd. Then with Luke back to work (and I mean REALLY back to work - out of the state for the entire week) it has been just Will, Dane and I all week long until blessed Friday when Daddy comes home. People have asked me how things are going during the week and I've been hesitant to say it, but really well! I always knock on wood when I say it. And a few times I've caught myself thinking "wow - this isn't bad at all, I've got it down!" But then I stop myself because I've learned the hard way that every time I feel all full of myself I quickly get knocked back down to reality in an unpleasant way...

Anyway, today was the day that I knew was long overdue. I needed to run a new set of plans up to the bank, which is about 20 minutes away. Running a quick errand is no longer just hopping in the car and heading out. I think it took me about 2 1/2 hours to get out of the house. Granted, I showered and, gasp, washed my hair, but still. It was like clockwork, once one task was finished someone pooped, or started crying, or was hungry, or spit up and needed a new outfit, or I had to go to the bathroom, or the phone was ringing, or the dog needed to go out. I could keep going. While we were out I grabbed Will's lunch at McDonalds and of course they gave him a cheeseburger which he refused to touch instead of his beloved chicken nuggets. I hate to be one of those people who checks their order before driving away but I'm seriously considering it. With the baby crying there was no way I was getting back in the line that wrapped around the building or going inside. Sorry Will. He had to settle for some homemade nuggets once we got home.

After naptime (God bless naptime!!) I decided we needed to head outside to play. I think it was about 90 out with 200% humidity, and I was dripping sweat while sitting in the shade. I needed to change Will's diaper and went to the drawer to grab one - the last one. I checked the bottom drawer - no. I checked the car - no. I checked our stash in the garage - no. I checked the diaper bag - 1. Great. An impromptu trip to Wally World. The day came to a head when we arrived back home. Dane had been screaming the entire car ride home and was still going full force. Will decided that he didn't want to come in the house. He was clutching his package of Pull-Ups and standing on the back porch crying and refusing to come any further. I dropped our bags in the kitchen and immediately started warming up some milk for Dane. I quickly surveyed the kitchen and realized the sink was full of dishes, the counters were covered with mail and recycling that needed to be taken out. There were toys all over the floor and the kitchen table was covered with leftovers of bags that I had emptied and had yet to put the contents away. Dane was still screaming and I'm impatiently waiting for his milk to get warm when Will decides this is the perfect time to insist he needs to go pee pee outside. Since we are on the brink of beginning potty training I knew I needed to take him. Outside we went. I strip off his pants and he is standing there smiling at me and pointing out the tractor across the road making hay bales. I called his bluff and we rush back inside. It's amazing how much more chaotic everything can seem with a wailing baby. Will then decides to treat himself to a can of root beer, and for the 2nd time this week drops it on the floor and it explodes and sprays all over the kitchen. Thank goodness my sweet sister in law Terri comes over about this time. I think she thought I might be on the verge of some sort of breakdown. She took Will down to his Pa-Paw's to play for a while so I could have a little break. I was finally able to restore some relative peace and order in the Payton household. Now I'm ready for bed and can't wait to rest my aching back and burning eyelids. Whew. What a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment