Thursday, December 8, 2011

Dear Santa...

Had an interesting bedtime conversation with Will tonight....

Side note: LAST YEAR before Christmas, Will had asked Santa for a tractor. Luke, how dare he, made him this gigantic indoor fort that has a climbing wall, swinging door with a peep hole into a carpeted room big enough to sleep in, play area on top with a look-through to the room, a swinging "dog door" or emergency escape. It's a VERY cool fort. That was what Santa delivered for Will on Christmas morning.

So tonight after I tuck him in - with NO MENTION of Santa I might add...

Me: Alright sweetie, night night. (walking toward door)

Will: Somebody else must have ordered that fort.

Me: What?

Will: Somebody else must have ordered that fort because I ordered something else and Santa brought me a fort. (I sit down on the bed trying hard not to laugh)

Before I can say anything, Will continues...

Will: When we went to that store, is that the real Santa that flies up to the north pole?

Me: Well, I think so..

Will: Well then why did he bring me a fort when I asked for a tractor?

(Here's where I wish I was more witty and had some really cool and smooth answer for him, but unfortunately this was all I had)

Me: Well, I'm not sure sweetie. We'll go find the real Santa this year and ask him to please bring you a tractor, ok?

Will: Ok, because I wanted a tractor.


Part of me gets a little irritated at this, thinking he should be so grateful for what he is given. But then I remember that WE are the ones who set up this little tradition - to sit upon Santa's knee and ask for that special toy. I guess I should have known better. And lesson learned. Don't go above and beyond when dealing with Santa. Bring the child exactly what he asks for! Now we'll have to go and visit Santa quickly this year before he thinks to ask him for a puppy or a new Ranger and be in for 2 straight years of disappointment. And the poor soul who has Will sit upon his knee this year might be in for an earful I'm afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment